BRAS' BLOG

Thoughts which form poetry, short stories, essays, and forms of mass media from a life form. Writings from a former spoken word artist, who called himself nabraska. Come in and enjoy some of the maddness from the perspective of a prisoner of the usa.

My Photo
Name:
Location: anytown, usa

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Obama for the Masses
Part I

Let me preface this blog with this statement: I think it is a good thing that an African-American male has won the Democratic nominee for president of the United States. However, I am not a supporter of Mr. Obama. I have been and always will be a supporter of Black Nationalism. I would like Americans to take a real look at itself, as well as integration, as well as the history of Blacks here in America.

I cannot support Obama for several different reasons, yet the one that tops the list is that he is more of a politician than a person. Granted Obama is a great orator, he is inspiring, however, he is a lawyer, as well as a politician. Politicians are known to say one thing to the people and then do the opposite—Obama is no different. The thing that makes Mr. Obama different is the fact that he was born in 1960; a baby during the Civil Rights Movement. Mr. Obama and I share something in common, we both had our formal years shaped in a so-called integrated society. The generations that grew up in a segregated society had the advantage of going to a school with black teachers who not only taught them the “meat and potato” subjects, but also taught them life, and how to live as a Black person in America, with pride. The generation that Mr. Obama and I grew up in is different in that we had white teachers, administrators, etc, that may not have been able to guide us in the most correct direction. The difference between Mr. Obama and myself is that he has an ivy league education and I chose to attend an HBCU. As a 3rd generation integrated individual, I know that racism still exist, I know that there are niggas (no matter what the NAACP says) Blacks, and African-Americans, and I know that the federal government will never have “the people’s” interest truly at heart.



Brother Malcolm X, El Hajj El Malik Shabazz, was a revolutionary thinker and profit because he never supported integration. From an American perspective, it is 2008, all people have equal rights, and for the most part, America is a good country. From a honest perspective, it’s 2008, racism exist covertly by both black and white, (it’s more economically based today) sexism is running rampant, fear has consumed the psyches of Americans, we are continuing a pre-emptive war, supported by falsehoods, the economy is in shambles, and we as trapped Africans are still behind enemy lines even if a so-called Black person is running for president of the United States. Brother Malcolm understood that this country was built on shaky stilts to say the least, and he also understood that the masses of African Americans were not on the same page; therefore, when one props up a half read book on a faulty foundation, the book is sure to fall. He did not want to see us fall due to the faultiness of America.



Now some may feel that I’m hatin’ on Obama because we as Black folk, love to hate on another. Please understand, that is not the case. I respect the man for attempting to make a change and I respect his wife more because I know Michelle keeps him grounded. I think the Rev. Wright situation was crazy because of the way it was handled. Was Rev. Wright wrong—not by any means, was Obama wrong, only when his distanced himself from the Rev. and the way he did it. The integration generation are believers that the word ‘nigger, nigga, nigguh’ should have a resting place along with racism; niggas exist as well as racism, so there’s no need to stop using the word until niggas are no longer in existence, and racism will continue until Shaniquia Jenkins won’t have to put S. Jenkins on her resume to get granted an interview.



One has to understand that I’ve never considered myself American. As I stated before, I believe in Black Nationalism. I believe that Obama is the best man from the two party system, however we have a choice in the ballot that we cast, and there are more than just the two parties. Thank you for taking the time to read this and watch the videos…..there will be more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home