BRAS' BLOG

Thoughts which form poetry, short stories, essays, and forms of mass media from a life form. Writings from a former spoken word artist, who called himself nabraska. Come in and enjoy some of the maddness from the perspective of a prisoner of the usa.

My Photo
Name:
Location: anytown, usa

Friday, May 16, 2008

Give Thanks to Love Jazz Art Center

I apologize for not writing this last night, so please forgive me. I featured last night at Love Jazz Art Center in celebration of El Hajj Malik El Shabazz (Malcolm X) birthday. It was a wonderful celebration filled with African music, dancing and of course poetry. The people who came out supported the artist by clapping with the music and giving the energy we all needed. I can not say enough positve things about the people who attended; we laughed, and gave soul shakes, conversated, nodded our heads in agreement to speeches, hugged, and appreciated one another to the fullest.

Being home has always been a complex thing for me, but last night, Nabraska came home under brotha Shabazz's bosom and felt safe, good, and appreciated. We know him better as Malcolm, minister, revolutionary, some may even call him an extremist--I know him as a leader, a father, and freedom fighter. It was my honor to take part in honoring him.

I want to give thanks again to all the people who attended, it was a very nice multicultural mix :) and you know I love that fact when I hit the northside. I want to give thanks again to Michelle Troxclair who stuck with me from the A to the Northside, and who is a wonderful poet in her own right. I am so appreciative to the Love Jazz Art Center here, at home, in Omaha, on 24th and Lake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home