BRAS' BLOG

Thoughts which form poetry, short stories, essays, and forms of mass media from a life form. Writings from a former spoken word artist, who called himself nabraska. Come in and enjoy some of the maddness from the perspective of a prisoner of the usa.

My Photo
Name:
Location: anytown, usa

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Here's the Written Images website people so hit it up for what I'm talkin' about. However, let's get back to last night.

http://p221.ezboard.com/bwrittenimages


Of the 27 poets who performed I have to give my 'get the fuck back up' award to my dude KIIING!! Every poet has gotten on stage with a prepared piece ready, but for some reason or another we can not get through it. Well KIIING had that experience last night. But he did the damn thang and came back strong with a piece dedicated to his unborn child, which spoke volumes about fatherhood, faith, and family. So a big ups to the poet who fell and rose by the end of the night!!

Another big shout out goes to Devine. Now I may be wrong about this name, but this poet got up there and did a piece supporting black men!!! And damn was it the bomb!! Now I know that as men we go to poetry spots, and venunes and stuff, and sometime we get bombarded with male bashing pieces. But this was not the night for that!! When Devine got up there and did her thing, I for one, was proud and honored to be not only a male, but a Black male. As GA Me commented after the piece, that females have been working on their self esteem issues, we as Black men have not been working on ours, and we know that we should. But it took a true Queen to remind us that even though we have our short-comings and faults, we still have worth. So a big up goes out to Devine, or the poet who did that piece....she knows who she is!!

The one and only vocalist who came through was Norris Bates, and this brotha was GREAT!! Now I know that it was a poetry function, but it took a vocalist to bring that old skool flavor to bring the crowd together as the family that we are. Norris, let me tip my hat to you brotha, because you can sing, you got the crowd up off their feet, and you brought us together with the clapping of hands surrounding your soul. I enjoyed you greatly!!

I must stop here and give props to the performance that I loved to hate. When truth hits u in the face, sometimes you don't know how to react, and the brothas who collaborate to make Quiet Rage did just that. They did a piece about rape which was simply honest and heartbreaking at the same time. And for people who witness these brothas and this piece will be knocked off their rockers. It broke down rape, from a male standpoint and was so brutally honest. I went up to one of them after the show, and was really unable to tell them how much it affected me, and really I don't think that I will ever put it into words. Therefore, it you ever get a chance to witness Quiet Rage, then do yourself a favor and go see them. I promise you won't be disappointed.

I have to send personal shout outs to the Vocalized Ink (VI 4 lyfe shawtie) family, EButterfield, Starr Lisa and the whole click who has supported me and poetry. As well as Tommy Bottoms, Abyss, Queen Sheba, Cocktails, and the whole ATL clickalation. Let me also shout out Goddess of Light and UpFromSomeDirt, who did not perform, but was there in attendance. And Up, you know that I love reading you, and I ain't alone, so please brugh, give us something, a book, a cd, I know u got a website, but we want more!!

What can I say that would personify this night for you....nothing, you had to experience it, you have to experience it. So for those not in attendance, get ready for 07, holla at Amberly, let the lady know that she did the damn thang, and WE LOVE HER FOR THAT!!!.....

I'm thinkin' that I'm gonna be endin' this thang now, cuzz it's long enough, but check the site http://p221.ezboard.com/bwrittenimages for pictures updates, and bomb ass poetry!!! Keep your words alive, keep your spirit alive, and keep your third eye open as you fill notebooks with the ink of our lives.....THANK YOU WRITTEN IMAGES!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First and foremost, thank you, Nabraska, you got my mind right. I've come back to Vegas revigorated and spreading your name everywhere I go. Not just for people to hear and read your words, but to let people know I met one of the coolest cats God has blessed my life to come in contact with. Stay up and I'll see you again.

KIIING

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home